Phase I Development
Garden Expansion Project
Phase I Development
The first phase of development is expected to take place in 2018-2019. Highlights include:
- Pollinator Meadow and Gathering Green
- Fireplace Terrace
- Aerial Tree Walk
- New central pathway between the Manor House and Upper Garden
- Enhanced woodland plantings
- Public pathway leading from SE Claybourne down to the 122nd St. bridge
- One parking bay plus disabled and staff parking
- New entrance at SE Claybourne
Below you will find descriptions of specific aspects of Phase I projects.
1. First Phase Projects – Scope of Work. The graphic represents 2018-19 project areas.
2. Garden & Woodland Planting Plans. These images show the planting plans for seasonal displays in the pollinator garden as well as plans for woodland garden enhancement, the storm water garden, southeast collection, gathering green, and buffer plantings.
3. Fireplace Terrace & Tree Walk Elevation. These two images show an elevation perspective of the terrace and tree walk as well as more detail on the terrace. The tree walk is elliptical and is shown here at its southernmost point. There are no stairs down from the tree walk even though this image makes it look that way because the elevation perspective cuts through the support structure at the southern edge.
4. Central Staircase Path. This new path provides a gracious connection between the Manor House and the Upper Garden.
Upper Garden Construction FAQs
ARE YOU OPEN DURING CONSTRUCTION?
WHERE CAN I PARK?
CAN I STILL WALK AROUND THE GARDEN?
WHAT IS GOING TO BE BUILT?
ARE TREES AFFECTED BY THE CONSTRUCTION?
ARE HONEYBEE HIKES STILL ON WEDNESDAY MORNINGS?
Check our website each week to insure that Honeybee Hikes are taking place. Currently, Honeybee participants should gather on the East Terrace on the far side of the Manor House.
WILL THE SUMMER LECTURE SERIES AND OTHER EVENTS AT THE GARDEN STILL OCCUR?
CAN I VISIT THE MANOR HOUSE AND THE GIFT SHOP?
The Manor House and Gift Shop will follow regular hours. If construction causes a change of accessibility of any facilities, we will update this FAQ.
CAN I STILL RENT SPACE IN THE GARDEN?
WILL THE PLANT SALE STILL HAPPEN IN APRIL 2020?
The Plant Sale held at Floyd Light Middle School will be held as usual. It is currently scheduled for Saturday, April 18, 2020.
HOW LONG WILL THE PROJECT TAKE?
Questions about the project? Contact Ross Swanson: 503-823-3577
Questions about Leach? Contact the garden's administrative office: 503-823-1671