Leach Botanical Garden Summer Camp – ages 14—18
– Immersive Outdoor Performance Lab
Writers, performers and artists of all types will thrive in this hands-on, all-in lab. Students will create their own performance piece, set along the paths and trails at Leach Botanical Garden. Imagine following a storyteller along the trail, discovering a scene in the meadow, pausing on the bridge to hear an original song–all of these moments (and more!) are possible in this student-driven experience.
Our instructor serves as a facilitator, helping students create an exciting and supportive community as they bring their ideas to life through games, storytelling, free-writes, journaling, sound maps, music and discussion.
- – Learn and use the methods of writing, devising, improvisation and ensemble creation
- – Build connection with and appreciation for the natural landscape
- – Highlight each unique voice through collaborative performance practice
- – Build facility with public speaking, projection, teamwork, group problem-solving, collaboration
- – Share your work at a performance for friends and family on Friday
Instructor Joellen Sweeney is a theatre-maker, teaching artist and outdoor enthusiast. Her theatre company, Bedrock Theatre, creates immersive adaptions of fairytales, myths and legends, performing them in motion along paths and trails. In 2019, Bedrock partnered with Leach Botanical Garden to produce Persephone, a fully-staged musical version of the Greek myth that led audiences on a mile-long adventure, discovering scenes along the paths and trails. As a teaching artist, Joellen is passionate about developing students’ unique voices and building their confidence. She has taught for Northwest Children’s Theatre, Portland Center Stage and Young Musicians & Artists Camp. Visit bedrocktheatre.com to learn about Bedrock Theatre’s unique approach.
Limit: 15 participants, ages 14—18