Every Thursday Morning – Free
Pre-registration is required
Explore the Garden at the speed-of-toddler! We’ll look for wildlife, listen to the wind and the creek, smell western redcedars and flowers, and touch the trees and leaves. The children are encouraged to stop and wonder, to ask questions and to share their delight. Our wonderful guides will then read a story. Each week is different with seasonal themes.
- Group sizes are limited. We travel in small groups of up to five children per group.
- Thursdays 10:00-11:00 a.m. September 30 – December 9th 2021
- Ages: 2–5 years, accompanied by an adult.
- Please register at the Garden Entrance, and then meet us at the Far Meadow. Dress for the weather, we walk rain or shine!
- Non-walkers are welcome.
Please check the website for possible cancellations, generally due to extreme weather. We walk rain or shine.
About the instructors:
JoAnn Vrilakis works at Leach Botanical Garden as the Education Manager.
Ly Duong was born and raised in Vietnam, and came to Portland to pursue an MS in Leadership for Sustainability Education at Portland State University. She has worked with numerous environmental and sustainability education programs as a facilitator, explorer, and storyteller.
COVID-19: Requirements and recommendations
All children and adults will need follow these guidelines:
- All adults must show proof of being vaccinated for Covid 19. The best way to protect unvaccinated children is for all adults around them to be vaccinated.
- All participants must wear face masks. Your child must be able to wear a face mask in order to participate.
- All participants (except household groups) must maintain 6 feet of distance.
- Small children often forget and there may be times when physical distance and mask wearing cannot be guaranteed. All adults must be willing to step in and re-establish 6 feet of physical distance and properly worn masks.
- If someone in the household of any participant (child or adult) has a positive or presumptive case of COVID-19, has a known exposure to COVID-19, or is awaiting results of a COVID test, do not attend the walk.
- Please only attend if you are healthy!
- If you are sick with a new or worsening cough, fever, shortness of breath, or recent loss of taste or smell, please withdraw from the program to keep others safe.
- Check for fever before you arrive for the walk. Please take the temperature of all participants before arriving at the walk, and stay home if you are ill.
- Follow general sanitation guidelines. Please make sure to wash or sanitize hands when you arrive, after using the bathroom, and after sneezing or coughing.
If you have questions, please contact Leach Garden Education Manager, JoAnn Vrilakas, at firstname.lastname@example.org