About Our Garden
In 1931, John and Lilla Leach purchased the 4.5 acres and named it Sleepy Hollow. John, a pharmacist, and Lilla, an accomplished botanist, devoted their land to their fascination with plants.
We Are Different,
We Like It That Way
We Aspire to Be…
Portland’s botanical and cultural garden, a treasure connecting people, place and plants through discovery and delight. Our botanical garden highlights northwest native plants and features other unique collections including ferns, and spring ephemerals.
- A horticultural resource for both casual and serious gardeners.
- A hands-on laboratory for environmental education that encourages engagement with the physical sciences.
- A model and demonstration site of environmental sustainability.
- An historic site celebrating John & Lilla Leach and their contributions to Pacific Northwest botany and to the southeast Portland community.
- A regional destination.
- A place of beauty, respite, and reflection.
- A special place for families to gather and create memories.
Learn More About US
How We’re Funded
We rely upon a mix of donations, sales, membership, volunteerism and grants to operate and grow. The majority of monetary support we receive is directly from the generous community of like-minded people and businesses in the Portland area. Whether you choose to show your support through hands-on involvement, financial contributions, or both, we appreciate you more than we’re able to express on a simple webpage. Please come visit us again soon to see your impact in person!
- Contributions & Grants
- Fundraising Sales & Events
- Classes and Rentals